the awesome/terrifying freedom

out here, somewhere, figuring it all out.




sexual predators at your fingertips


email this post



remember me (?)



all personal information that you provide here will be governed by the privacy policy of blogger.com. more...



i picked up the phone at work today and was greeted by the genteel, neighborly recorded voice of 'melissa.' she said:

hi! my name is melissa, and i'm calling from zipcodealert.com! i'm calling to inform you that there are sexual predators in your area! if you would like to know how many sexual predators are in your area, please press 1 now!
so i pressed 1.

please enter your zip code!
zip code entered.

pause pause pause.

there are _3_ sexual predators in your area! if you would like more information on these predators, including profile and pictures, please go to zipcodealert.com!
and of course her voice changes when she says '3' because of the electronic system, and you can tell that she's been coached to make her voice as friendly as possible to try and counteract the totally impersonal, exploitation-by-fear nature of the whole conceit.

then you go to the website and of course, they are so totally concerned for your safety, or the safety of your kids that you have to pay for what is actually public domain information. and to pile on this sugary sweet voice that tells you
'good morning! i bet you didn't know that there are three people in your neighborhood just dying to rape your kids! coffee? tea?'
it was like a saturday night live sketch.

sasha baron cohen is a fearless man. he revels in the discomfort of others, sometimes making the ali g show hard to watch, but it's also what makes it riveting. by pretending to be stupid, he's able to coerce statements out of people that they would never otherwise utter. last week he got james broadwater, a congressional candidate in mississippi to state in black and white terms that all jews will go to hell. read his 'defense', which basically says 'oh, sorry, i didn't mean to say all jews will go to hell. i meant to say all jews will go to hell unless they accept jesus. see? i'm a friend of israel! vote for me!'


8 responses to “sexual predators at your fingertips”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    ill will be calling 911 to investigate this

  2. Blogger j 

    hmm. might not want to call -911- but do investigate it!

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Someone else told me to go to Zipcodealert.com today.Nothing happens when I do though.All I get is your page.How do I get the list of pretators or there websight and not yours.Please respond in your coments and I will check back later.

  4. Blogger j 

    um, i have no idea why you're getting my site instead of zipcodealert.com this is -not- zipcodealert.com. this is joelarue.blogspot.com. my only guess is that you are doing a search instead of actually typing the address into your browser.

  5. Anonymous Anonymous 

    hello, iwould like to see the sexual preditors in my area but your websight won't let me . where do you put zip code to do this? i have tried everything.you can me at tsouther2002@yahoo.com thank you terry souther

  6. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I fell for the bull, that was left on my answering machine and checked out the website. Your right. All they want is $$$ and then they invaded my computer by installing thier unwanted software. This only proving predators are everywhere.

  7. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I have been receiving these phone call for about two weeks now. I have a child, so out of concern I tried to go to the web site. My computer wouldn't let the page come up, so i went serching. Thats how i found you. I also found other sites stating the same things. One was from a police web site in another state. Apparently it's not just happening in my neighborhood!!! I just wanted to say thank you for saving me some aggravation. I am looking in to what can be done about stopping the calls, and i will keep you posted.

  8. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I TOO AM A CONCERNED PARENT WHO GOT THE SAME PHONE CALLS
    FROM "ZIPCODE ALERT". I DID HOWEVER FIND A SITE TO LOOK
    UP THE OFFENDERS, INCLUDING PICTURES THAT DOES NOT COST.
    IT IS A GOVERMENT SPONSERED SITE. DO A SEARCH UNDER
    "SEXOFFENDERS" AND THE SITE WILL COME UP. IT IS A SEX
    OFFENDERS REGISTRY SITE. FOR ALL CONCERNED PARENTS I STRONGLY RECOMMEND LOOKING IN TO THIS FOR THERE IS NOTHING MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE SAFETY AND WELLBEING OF OUR CHILDREN.

Post a Comment


search web search me

ah, me

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from joelarue2. Make your own badge here.




  • 5: the man of genius


  • 4: blunders & absurdities

  • 3: conservative after dinner

  • 2: what lies below

  • 1: where there is no path


  • the awesome/terrifying freedom is powered by blogspot and gecko & fly.
    no part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.